To celebrate National Dessert day, I decided to remake an old favorite on the old blog – Blue Raspberry cupcakes. I decided on a few things though. Change up the recipe since I couldn’t make it the exact same way and make it slightly differently.
I decided to go with a different recipe this time around with more flavor and color in the cupcake and with the raspberry on top this time. I accidentally kept the cupcakes in the oven for a bit too long, but with the cream cheese frosting, it was still delicious and the topping of raspberries was great too.
Recipe for the cupcake:
(modified from here)
1/4 cup (1/2 of a stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup of sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of milk
1 large squirt of flavor enhancer (i.e. Mio, Dasani Drops, etc.)
Blue food gel
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
2. Cream together butter and sugar with electric mixer. Add egg, mixing well.
3. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add this 1/2 of the mixture to the wet ingredients. Then the milk and flavor enhancer, ending with the flour mixture. Mix well.
4. Add in the blue food gel – few drops goes a long way so use sparing depending on the color you want the cupcakes.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Recipe for the frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temp
4 tbs butter, at room temp
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
Blue food gel
1. Mix cream cheese and butter until well incorporated.
2. Add confectioner’s sugar in 1/4 cup at a time, tasting along the way. I only used about a cup because I didn’t want my frosting to be too sweet.
3. Add a few drops of blue food gel to color the frosting to the desired color.
4. Decorate you please. I used the 1M piping tip and topped it with a raspberry.