Our workplace during busy season brings by fruit weekly – bananas, oranges, and apples. I typically get a few items each week and I happened to have bananas left over that I didn’t eat that week and it’s gone brown. Perfect for banana bread!
Since I only had 1 banana, I needed to find a recipe that only used a banana since I didn’t have any other bananas. Also since I wanted to share with my friends, I decided to go with muffins. It’s really not too difficult to change a recipe from a bread to muffin format. I put together these and gave some to friends as well and they all really enjoyed them.
(adapted from here)
4 tbs of applesauce
1 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. turbinado sugar
3/4 tsp. aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c.soy milk
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 ripe banana
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 c. chocolate chips
2 T of chopped pecans
1.Line the muffin tin with liners. I used about 10 of them.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Mix together the applesauce, soy milk, egg, and extract until well combined.
4. Add banana and mash well to incorporate.
5. Pour into dry ingredients and stir together until combined. Add in chocolate chips and pecans and mix together.
6. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
7. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.