At the same time I was making the donuts with a separate recipe, I decided to also finish up the Ultimate Cake Baking Bucket List April challenge of making carrot cake. Since I had already shredded plenty of carrots and made those donuts, I decided to cut the recipe in a quarter and see how this would compare to other carrot cake recipes I had made in the past.
Honestly this one is just okay. I might have kept it in the oven for a bit too long but not my favorite out of everything I made. I think the donuts are much better than these cupcakes – and I’m not sure if it is because of the ratios or because it’s just not amazing recipe. I hope it’s the first. Regardless, shared these with some friends – and well they do always like what I bake (for the most part) and onward to the next baking challenge!
(adapted from here)
1/4 cup pecans (1 ounce)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/8 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cups sugar
1/4 pound carrots, peeled and coarsely shredded (this is about 1 large carrot)
1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Line about the cupcake tin with liners (be creative with it!).
2. Spread the pecans on a pan and roast for a few minutes on medium heat. Keep an eye on it because they burn easily. Cool and finely chop the pecans.
3. In a bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
5. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar at high speed until pale.
6. Beat in the liquid ingredients.
7. Beat in the dry ingredients just until moistened.
8. Stir in the carrots and pecans.
9. Divide the batter between your cupcakes. I put in about 3 tablespoons in each and ended up with 10 cupcakes
10. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and springs back.
11. Top the cooled cupcakes off with the glaze made with the donuts, or a cream cheese frosting of your choice.